To sum it all up, I love cooking and baking. It's basically my obsession. This will be the perfect place for me to show whoever is reading, what I love to do. Sharing my recipes and masterpieces with the world is the most I can ask for. From one future chef to another, from my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy!

Search Sammi's Recipes

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hotdog, Grilled? Nope baked in an oven. Why? Its a CAKE!


HotDog Cake


This was my first hotdog cake. It is a vanilla pound cake with buttercream and apricot filling. My grandfather loves hotdogs he might love them more then anyone in the world, for his birthday I decided to make him a cake he would never forget. This was just one cake in a pound cake pan that I carved to look like a hotdog in its bun. I cut the cake in half and applied the filling and stuck the cake back together like glue. After that I dirty iced the cake and covered it in white fondant. I then airbrushed the sides of the cake with yellow and orange food coloring to give it that "hotdog bun" color. Then I rolled out another piece of fondant really thin and made the color the same color as a hot dog. Then painted the hotdog part with water and laid the hot dog colored fondant on top and the water acts like glue so the hotdog color sticks to the white food coloring. Then I took black icing and made my grill marks. After that I rolled out two strips of fondant and colored them red and yellow to imitate mustard and ketchup. But something was off the mustard didnt look like mustard but I didnt no what was missing. So I pulled my mustard out of the refrigerator and compared it to my fondant, and I saw what was missing, the pepper specs in it. So I ran to my cabinet and grabbed my cinnamon sugar and mixed it in with the fondant. That was it. It was perfect, and done! Oh and my grandfather loved it (just incase you were wondering).

2 comments: